The participant is a 76 year old man first diagnosed with stomach cancer in December 2003. Medical treatment included 6 months of regular chemotherapy and no other medications or treatments. Other non-medical treatment was with Vitamin B17 taken orally. Diet consists of fruit, vegetables, fish and some meat.
Main presenting problems include.
Depression; Lack of energy; Lack of Motivation. Problems swallowing (thought to be a build up of arsenic in the body from B17).
Verbal reports were as follows
3rd May 2005
1. Sleeping better from CD use.
2. Still feeling sad.
3. No physical energy.
4. Problems swallowing.
10th May 2005
1. Still sleeping better.
2. Still has trouble swallowing, (will now cease taking B17 of own accord).
3. Energy still low.
4. Mood feels a little better.
24th May 2005
1. Feeling much better now.
2. Still sleeping well.
3. Energy feels as though it is returning (has taken some walks).
4. Walked 3 kilometres on previous Monday.
5. Swallowing has gone back to normal.
31st May 2005
1. Feeling much happier.
2. Partner has noticed a big improvement in moods etc.
3. Energy fluctuating up and down.
4. Still not exercising as much as he would like to, but feels lazy too often.
7th June 2005
1. Feeling about 50% better overall.
2. Swallowing problem seems gone now.
3. Sleeping deeply
4. Elimination systems seem to be working fine now.
5. Feeling happier with self.
16th June 2005
1. Reports still feeling better and continuing to improve.
2. Appetite is better.
3. Mood is better.
4. Easier to eat and swallow.
5. Still need motivation to walk more.
6. Sleeping deeply.
7. Feeling generally less worried about things.
Final assessment completed on 16th June 2005:
His opinion of the trial:
I feel much better. I feel the best I have felt since the news of my cancer. I can eat and swallow comfortably again and my depression feels gone. I think that this treatment has been very very good for me.