The participant is a 50 year old male, first diagnosed with Rectal Adenocarcinoma in March 2004. The standard care medical treatment was pre-operative chemotherapy followed by rectal resection surgery. The participant was then required to wear a temporary Stoma Bag, which is still required presently, because of a non healing abscess. The participants’ diet consists of a balanced diet of fresh and healthy foods. At the beginning of the trial the participant reported a continual puss like discharge from the post operative abscess.
Main Presenting Issues Include.
Anger; Burning Pains; Insomnia; Depression; Energy Loss; Constant Worry.
Verbal reports were as follows.
3rd May 2005
1. CD helps participant to sleep much better and deeper.
2. Reports lots of stress in home environment and family relationship.
3. Reports that the domestic situation and the stoma bag make him constantly angry.
4. Reports total sexual dysfunction.
12th May 2005
Participant calls in the morning and reports personal havoc at home that day and cancels appointment: Reschedules for Thursday 19th May 2005.
19th May 2005
1. Participant reports home environment still causing much stress.
2. Participant reports disgust at Stoma bag and having to wear it.
3. Still sleeping deeper and can go back to sleep after waking up to use bathroom.
4. Reports raw skin around stoma bag entrance and local pain in that area from eating acidic foods.
7th June 2005
1. Feels more tolerable towards partner and domestic situation.
2. Feels treatment now helping significantly with anger issues and is now much calmer.
3. Sleeping deeply.
4. Abscess weeping beginning to slow.
5. Has more energy.
Thursday 9th June
1. Feels more emotionally stable and less reactive.
2. Sleeping fine now.
3. Burning pain around stoma bag entrance gone.
4. Has more physical energy.
Tuesday 14th June 2005
1. Discharge from abscess has slowed to almost nothing.
2. Feels much more positive.
3. Still sleeping deeply.
5. Energy levels up.
6. Feels more tolerance and less anger towards other people.
Thursday 16th June 2005
1. Feels the same as on 14th June although the infection seems to have dried up. Participant has appointment Friday 16th June with Surgeon for check up.
Final assessment completed on 6th June 2005:
His opinion of the trial:
1. Feels as though the abscess infection has slowed considerably after leaking like a tap for six months.
2. All of my results are positive.
3. I sleep much deeper and better.
4. My anger is much less.
5. Still slightly depressed about my domestic and relationship situation.
6. Stopped going off at the kids all the time, and calmly remove myself from stressful situations.
7. Feels much more tolerant.
8. Has much more energy and a much more positive attitude.