The participant is a 64 year old woman first diagnosed with breast cancer in 1984. She had a Lumpectomy in 1984 and a full Mastectomy of the right breast in 1997. Medications are, Aromasin, Warfarin, Methodone, and Hydro Morphine. The usual diet consists of Cereals, Porridge, Milk, Bread, Soup, Potatoes, some Meat, and Icecream.
Main Presenting Issues Include.
Pain in back; Loss of appetite; Loss of energy; Fear.
Verbal reports were as follows:
3rd May 2005
1. Subject appeared weak and ravaged by cancer and treatment side effects.
2. Subject reported severe pain in the back muscles and spine.
3. Subject reported very low appetite.
10th May 2005
1. Reports no pain all week.
2. Reports better sleep.
3. Reports she could not stand the smell of food as it made her nauseous.
4. Appeared much happier both physically and emotionally.
5. Subject expressed concern that she was going to be given six doses at once of radio therapy on Wednesday 11th May 2005.
17th May 2005
1. Appetite has returned and been consistent all week.
2. Gained 4 pounds in weight.
3. No pain all week.
4. Sleeping well.
31st May 2005
Friday 10th May 2005
1. Subject arrives with morphine pump attached.
2. Subject has nausea and vomiting.
3. Complete loss of appetite.
4. Reports severe lower back pain.
5. Subject told by doctor, sometime between 18th May and 30th May 2005, that she has two months to live without more chemotherapy and possibly six months to live without more chemotherapy.
6. Pharmacist checks contents of the pump and finds possible medication conflict.
7. Subject too weak and incoherent for hypnosis.
The subject’s husband rings to cancel her out of the trial, stating that she is too weak and will begin another course of chemotherapy.